Volunteers are essential to our work at Communities In Schools of Tacoma. We could not reach as many families and students as we do without the help of our many dedicated mentors, tutors, reading buddies, and teachers. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
To apply as a volunteer, you can simply fill out our online VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM. You may choose instead to download the attached CIS Volunteer Application Form (bottom of this page) and return the completed form, along with a color copy or clear photograph of your photo ID, to Nova Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer, you may also return these materials in person at our office at 2141 South J Street, Tacoma, WA 98405. All school-based volunteers must pass a Washington State Patrol background check in order to work in a school building.
Our VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK Rev February 2017 is a great reference for what we expect from our volunteers, as well as what they can expect from us.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- All-Star Readers: Volunteer as a reading buddy with the All-Star Readers program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays from 3:45PM-4:45PM. The All-Star Readers program is designed to help students struggling in reading reach their potential. Dedicated community members volunteer to help a struggling student work through their reading kit and practice literacy skills. Learn more about the All-Star Readers program HERE.
- Elementary Enrichment Programs: CIS of Tacoma offers a variety of enrichment programs including hip-hop dance club, science & technology, crafting & art classes, and drama club. If you have skills in these areas and want to lend a helping hand, we’d love to have you! These programs take place Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45-4:45pm at Arlington and Fern Hill Elementary Schools.
- Middle & High School Academic Coaches: Volunteer as an academic coach for a struggling student. Academic coaches help keep students motivated and on-task in class during the day, or help students with their homework after school. We offer Academic Coaching in the following schools:
- Math at Gray Middle School, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:45-4:00pm
- Math & English at Oakland High School, Mondays & Wednesdays from 11:30am-12:50pm and lunchtime daily 10:50-11:30am
- Multiple Subjects at Mt. Tahoma High School, Lunchtime 10:35-11:10am (1st Lunch) and 11:35am-12:10pm (2nd Lunch)
- PowerUP Teen Leadership and Empowerment: Lead and inspire middle and high school students to develop life and entrepreneurship skills, get involved in their community and develop their own strong leadership skills through service projects. We offer this program at the following schools:
- Goal Getters at Gray Middle School, Wednesdays 2:45-4:00pm
- Women’s Empowerment at Oakland High School, Mondays & Thursdays from 2:30-4:00pm
- Men’s Empowerment at Mt. Tahoma High School, Mondays & Wednesdays from 2:00-3:00pm
- Women’s Empowerment at Mt. Tahoma High School, Tuesdays & Thursdays from 2:00-3:00pm
- Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! Library Associates: Library Associate Volunteers help our participating Ready, Set, Read Teacher-Librarians by assisting them with day-to-day library tasks, including shelving books, making sure books are alphabetized correctly, and repairing books. Library Associates may also be asked to help support the Ready, Set, Read program at book check-out time, depending on schedule. Days and times are highly flexible. Learn more about Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! HERE.
- Volunteer Grant Writer: Join our Grant Writing Committee as a volunteer grant writer. Volunteers assist in editing and proofing, research potential grants, write portions of LOIs and grants, and increase their professional networks with individuals in the non-profit world.