Volunteers are essential to our work at Communities In Schools of Tacoma. We could not reach as many families and students as we do without the help of our many dedicated mentors, tutors, reading buddies, and teachers. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
To apply as a volunteer at one of our school sites:
**Please note that in accordance with Governor Inslee’s proclamation 21-14.1, all District employees, including on-site volunteers and contractors are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by October 18. Read the proclamation here.
To apply, please complete a Tacoma Public Schools COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER FORM. Once complete, return the completed form, along with a color copy or clear photograph of your photo ID and supporting vaccine documentation to Executive Director, Emily Slagle at email@example.com. All school-based volunteers must pass a Washington State Patrol background check and have completed COVID-19 vaccination or approved exemption in order to work in a school building.
Our VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK Rev February 2017 is a great reference for what we expect from our volunteers, as well as what they can expect from us.
To apply as a one-time volunteer for an event:
Contact Executive Director, Emily Slagle at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know which event you’re interested in.
- All-Star Readers: Volunteer as a reading buddy with the All-Star Readers program on M/W at Arlington Elementary or T/Th at Fern Hill Elementary from 4:00PM-5:15PM. The All-Star Readers program is designed to help students struggling in reading reach their potential. Dedicated community members volunteer to help a struggling student work through their reading kit and practice literacy skills.
- Middle & High School Academic Coaches: Volunteer as an academic coach for a struggling student. Academic coaches help keep students motivated and on-task in class during the day, or help students with their homework after school. We offer Academic Coaching in the following schools:
- Math at Stewart Middle School, Monday-Thursday, 2:45-4:30pm
- Algebra at Oakland High School, M/T/Th/F from 11:30am-12:50pm or 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Geometry at Oakland High School, M/T/Th/F from 12:55-2:15pm