Ready, Set, Read—Tacoma! (RSR-T) is an entirely free program that introduces preschool children over the age of 3 to early literacy and STEAM concepts. Most of our 100+ books in our collection have tips for grown-ups to make reading fun, related activities, and suggestions for similar books. Participating families can use these tools to enrich their own at-home story time routines and extend learning opportunities.
Our collection is available for checkout at 42 locations among Tacoma Public Preschools, Libraries, Community Centers, and the Rescue Mission. Local businesses provide prizes for every 10 collection books that have been logged. 60-book Champions who receive a medal for their hard work, become confident in their accomplishments, and prove to be more prepared with skills they need to start Kindergarten!
Why participate in Ready, Set, Read?
Fifty percent of our state’s kindergarteners start school below the reading level. By participating in the Ready, Set, Read program, not only creates a special bonding moment between parent and child, but also lays the groundwork for language development, creativity, and imagination. Preschool-aged children will learn phonics, shapes, colors, safety, inclusion, and science, technology, engineering, art, math (STEAM) skills to prepare for kindergarten.
As an incentive to motivate your student, local businesses have provided prizes for every ten books your child reads and logs online.
How to Register
- Please fill out our Online Enrollment Form or complete the Paper Enrollment Form
- Read Books from the following lists: RSR Book Collection and Extended RSR Book Collection
- For every 10 books, complete the Online Book Log for prizes or fill out the Paper Book Log and turn it into your teacher/librarian
Where to find RSR Books
We have created 6 online enrichment resources to enhance your child’s learning:
- Epic – use access code tmw1804
- Hoopla, Libby/Overdrive, BookFlix – create an eCard account to stream RSR books through the Tacoma Public Library
- TumbleBooks – create an eCard account to stream eBooks that are available through the Pierce County Library website
- Storyline Online – stream videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books. Each book includes a supplemental curriculum to strengthen comprehension, verbal and written skills for English-language learners
- CIS Facebook – a new storytime read by a TPS staff and special guest will be posted on Tuesday and Thursday at 3:00 pm
- RSR Sway – stream pre-recorded stories read by TPS teachers, principals, staff members, TPL Librarian, a special guest from Magic in the PNW, and Ms. Quyen
Online Enrichment Resources
- RSR Tips & STEM Activity website – to enrich at-home story time routines and expand early learning opportunities
- RSR Rewards – to motivate your child to become a Champion Reader. Once your child is registered, Ms. Quyen, the Early Childhood Outreach Coordinator, will send the RSR Rewards chart to your home address
Program Forms For Librarians
Our Community Partners:
Tacoma Public Schools, Graduate Tacoma, Children’s Museum of Tacoma, Tacoma Public Libraries, Tacoma Metro Parks