Ready, Set, Read—Tacoma! (RSR-T) is an entirely free program that introduces preschool-aged children to early literacy and STEAM concepts. Most of our 190+ books in our collection have tips for grown-ups to make reading fun, related activities, and suggestions for similar books. Participating families can use these tools to enrich their own at-home story time routines and extend learning opportunities.
Our collection is available for checkout at 42 locations among Tacoma Public Preschools and Tacoma Public Libraries. Local businesses provide prizes for every ten collection books logged online. Students reading 60+ RSR books will receive rewards for their hard work, become confident in their accomplishments, and prove to be more prepared with the skills they need to start Kindergarten!
Why Participate in Ready, Set, Read?
Fifty percent of our state’s kindergarteners start school below the reading level. Participating in the Ready, Set, Read program creates a special bonding moment between parent and child and lays the groundwork for language development, creativity, and imagination. To prepare for kindergarten, preschool-aged children will learn phonics, shapes, colors, safety, inclusion, science, technology, engineering, art, math (STEAM) skills.
As an incentive to motivate your student, local businesses have provided prizes for every ten books your child reads and logs online.
Three Steps to Participate in RSR
- Registration – submit the Online Enrollment Form or complete the Paper Enrollment Form
- What books to read – choose books from the RSR COLLECTION – 2021.
- Where to log in books to earn prizes – for every 10 books, complete the Online Book Log or fill out the Paper Book Log and turn it in to your teacher/librarian.
Where to Find RSR Books
There are six online enrichment resources to enhance your child’s learning:
- Epic – use access code cuq3599 to stream RSR books.
BookFlix, Hoopla, and Libby/Overdrive are options to stream eBooks, movies, and audiobooks through the Tacoma Public Library.
- TumbleBooks – create an eCard account to stream RSR eBooks & audiobooks that are available through the Pierce County Library website
- Storyline Online – stream videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books. Each book includes a supplemental curriculum to strengthen comprehension, verbal and written skills for English-language learners.
- CIS Facebook – pre-recorded storytime read by a TPS staff, special guest, and the RSR Early Childhood Outreach Coordinator.
- RSR Sway – stream pre-recorded stories read by TPS teachers, principals, staff members, TPL Librarian, a special guest from Magic in the PNW, and RSR Early Childhood Outreach Coordinator.
Online Enrichment Resources
- RSR Tips & STEM Activity website – to enrich at-home story time routines and expand early learning opportunities
- RSR Rewards – to motivate your child to become a Champion Reader. Once your child is registered, the Early Childhood Outreach Coordinator will send the RSR Rewards chart to your home address.
Celebrate with our Champion Readers – Click on the above link to view our Year-end Champion Celebration.
STEAM Storytime activities – Click on the above link to view preschool students participating in the STEAM Storytime with the RSR Early Childhood Outreach Coordinator.