Volunteers are essential to our work at Communities In Schools of Tacoma. We could not reach as many families and students as we do without the help of our many dedicated mentors, tutors, reading buddies, and teachers. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! Library Associates: Library Associate Volunteers help our participating Ready, Set, Read Teacher-Librarians by assisting them with day-to-day library tasks, including shelving books, making sure books are alphabetized correctly, and repairing books. Library Associates may also be asked to help support the Ready, Set, Read program at book check-out time, depending on schedule. Days and times are highly flexible. Learn more about Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! HERE.
- Arlington Elementary: Volunteer as a reading mentor and tutor Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30-4:45 pm. The reading program at Arlington is designed and implemented in collaboration with UW Tacoma Education Department professors.
- Fern Hill Elementary: Volunteer as a reading mentor/tutor with the All-Star Readers program on Wednesdays from 3:45-4:45 pm. The All-Star Readers program is designed to help students struggling in reading reach their potential. Dedicated community members volunteer to help a struggling student work through their reading kit and practice literacy skills. Learn more about the All-Star Readers program HERE.
- Baker Middle School: Students who are in need of extra math help enroll in the CIS Tacoma math tutoring program, which provides one-on-one math tutors both in class class and during the after-school program at Baker. Volunteer to tutor students in grades 6-8 with math skills and homework completion during school hours (flexible) and in the after-school program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 pm. Math tutors should be able to tutor in skills up through algebra.
- Oakland High School: This alternative public high school serves students ages 14-21 and offers a smaller, more supportive environment compared to that of a traditional high school. Students at Oakland are most often in need of math tutoring support during and after school. Math tutoring at Oakland is flexible, with sessions available Monday-Friday:
- Session 1: 8:05 – 9:20 am
- Session 2: 9:25 – 10:50 am
- Session 3: 11:30 am – 12:50 pm
- Session 4: 12:55 – 2:15 pm
- After School: 2:30 – 4:00pm
- Mount Tahoma High School: We serve Mt. Tahoma High School students with a variety of programs, including math and science tutoring on Tuesdays and Thursdays, UnCommon mentorship programs on Fridays, and a Success Coaches program, where students who are interested in a particular career field are matched up with a successful adult in that career for once-monthly meetings and virtual check-ins throughout the month. All programs at Mt. Tahoma take place after school from 2:15-4:00 pm.
- Volunteer Grant Writer: Join our Grant Writing Committee as a volunteer grant writer. Volunteers assist in editing and proofing, research potential grants, write portions of LOIs and grants, and increase their professional networks with individuals in the non-profit world.
To apply as a volunteer, please download the attached CIS Volunteer Application Form below and return the completed form, along with a color copy or clear photograph of your photo ID, to Nova Hernandez at email@example.com. If you prefer, you may also return these materials in person at our office at 2141 South J Street, Tacoma, WA 98405. All school-based volunteers must pass a Washington State Patrol background check in order to work in a school building.
Questions about volunteering? Fill out the contact form below:
https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/I1lYpVl-z9YDwaGCUC9HIQ.js<noscript><a href=”https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/I1lYpVl-z9YDwaGCUC9HIQ”>Fill out my LGL form!</a><br/></noscript>