Volunteers are essential to our work at Communities In Schools of Tacoma. We could not reach as many families and students as we do without the help of our many dedicated mentors, tutors, reading buddies, and teachers. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma!: We are in need of a volunteer to facilitate the Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! program at Tacoma Little Theater one Saturday a month from 10 am-11 am. This program will include story time using RSR-T books and extension activities that will increase comprehension and extend the learning. Volunteers will be responsible for selecting the books and activities for each session. Learn more about Ready, Set, Read-Tacoma! HERE.
- Arlington Elementary: Volunteer as a reading mentor/tutor Mondays-Thursdays from 3:30-4:45 pm. The reading program at Arlington is designed and implemented in collaboration with UW Tacoma professors.
- Fern Hill Elementary: Volunteer as a reading mentor/tutor with the All Star Reader program on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30 pm. The All Star Reader program is designed to help students struggling in reading reach their potential. Dedicated community members volunteer to help a struggling student work through their reading kit and practice literacy skills. Learn more about the All Star Reader program HERE.
- Sherman Elementary: Volunteer as a reading mentor/tutor with the All Star Reader program on Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45 pm.
- Baker Middle School: Students who are in need of extra academic help enroll in the CIS Tacoma after school program at Baker. Students use this time to complete or catch up on homework. Volunteer to assist students with homework completion on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 pm.
- Oakland High School: This alternative public high school serves students ages 14-21 and offers a smaller, more supportive environment compared to that of a traditional high school. Volunteer to assist students after school with homework completion.
- Mount Tahoma High School: Students who have failed one or more courses can enroll in a online credit retrieval program that CIS Tacoma offers at Mount Tahoma high school. Volunteer on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2-4 pm to assist students with completing their homework and tutoring them in various subjects.
- Volunteer Grant Writer: Join our Grant Writing Committee as a volunteer grant writer. Volunteers assist in editing and proofing, research potential grants, write portions of LOIs and grants, and increase their professional networks with individuals in the non-profit world. The Grant Writing Committee meets the second Monday of each month at our Central Office (2141 South J Street, Tacoma, WA 98405).